Monday, September 01, 2008

Masters of Fantasy

Many (many) years ago, I had the opportunity to work with some of the best fantasy artists in the business - Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, and the late (and missed) Keith Parkinson. They were part of the TSR art department, an on-site bullpen that included Clyde Caldwell, Brom, Paul Jaquays, and Fred Fields. And at the time, I said that their work would be hanging in a museum someday, and there would be polite laughter.

But Larry, Jeff, and Keith have a show, at the Kendall Gallery in Grand Rapids, Michigan, from now until the 20th of September. Larry Elmore will be on campus September 15-17 for talks and discussions. The show includes some of the work that I watched being created, all those years ago.

I am incredibly pleased that the great fantasy artists of my early years are getting the attention they deserve. While at the time the work was considered "commercial art", it has stayed with us, and gotten beyond its commercial origins, much as Parish shilled for Jello, Mucha did ads for JOB rolling paper, Toulouse-Lautrec did posters, and Rockwell created covers for the Saturday Evening Post. Art can transcend purpose, which is what makes it art.

On the other hand, I now have to admit that I'm as old as a group of Old Masters.

Oh, well. More later,

Rainfall on Grubb Street for the month of August: Three inches and a scootch.