Monday, October 06, 2008

McCain Mutiny

I've always been weird. Back in the '80s, I read The Rolling Stone for its political coverage.

No, really. I found William Greider's commentary to be excellent, and when he left the magazine, my subscription soon followed. Since then they have been off and on, dealing softballs and solid work and Hunter Thompson, who could be in both camps at the same time.

And then there is this summary of the John S. McCain. While hardly supportive, it does address the major points in the candidate's biography, and helps explain how the former Keating scandal coverboy could evolve into a campaign reform proponent, how a former POW could come to support torture, and why some of his supporters feel that he can flip once more after he gets in office. It also pokes into some areas that even I didn't know much about. Like candidate McCain or not, it is a must-read.

More later,